Subject: Re: anyone using net-snmp?
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2004 21:46:18
* Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com> [1222 20:22]:
> [ On Tuesday, December 7, 2004 at 12:32:16 (+0000), Dick Davies wrote: ]
> > Subject: anyone using net-snmp?
> >

> > I've just started playing with net-snmp, and noticed a quirk with our net-snmp
> > package - local disks do'nt show up in hrStorageXXXX. See output below
>
> Did you configure snmpd?  I.e. did you do what the MESSAGE file says and
> run "/usr/pkg/bin/snmpconf -g basic_setup" to generate an snmpd.conf in
> the right place?

Well, I did it by hand, but yeah, I setup a 'rocommunity xxx', syslocation etc.

. Have you got 'disk bla bla' entries in yours? I just tried adding that, no
difference. ( I thought that was just for traps, all
I want to do is draw some graphs of usage with cricket. )

> With net-snmp-5.1.2, and a proper snmpd.conf, it works OK for me:
>
> $ snmpwalk -v 1 building hrStorageDescr
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.1 = STRING: Memory Buffers
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.2 = STRING: Real Memory
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.3 = STRING: Swap Space
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.4 = STRING: /
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.5 = STRING: /var
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.6 = STRING: /usr/pkg
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.7 = STRING: /tmp
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.8 = STRING: /home
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.9 = STRING: /work
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.10 = STRING: /cvs
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.11 = STRING: /build
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.12 = STRING: /kern
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.13 = STRING: /proc
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.14 = STRING: /fdesc
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.17 = STRING: /most/distfiles
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.18 = STRING: /most/var
> HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.19 = STRING: /most/big1
>

> I don't seem to have specified anything specific for the
> host-resources-mib in the configuration, though there are some
> filesystem percentage thresholds in there for the ucd-snmp-mib.

Any chance I could have a look?

> There are other bugs though that'll cause it to dump core, at least on
> the alpha -- and they can be triggered by a simple "snmpwalk" without a
> starting OID.....  On i386 the daemon just seems to go catatonic.

Haven't seen that yet, something to look forward to....

Cheers.

--
zzz..Kill all humans. Kill all humans..zzz .....
I was having the most wonderous dream. You were in it. - Bender