Subject: Re: xterm && screen && (lynx || centericq) == garbled
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2004 06:49:16
On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 09:18:26PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> Sorry I didn't pick up on the only xterm part.  I wonder if there is any
> chance it could be a font problem?  (BTW, I'm curious as to what font you
> use for PuTTY.  I use "MS Gothic" in order to get CJK, but I'd like to
> find a complete UTF-8, fixed space font for MS Windows.)

The two fonts I tried in my xterm where the "vga" font snagged from
dosemu, and the "10x20" font that comes with X.  The problem occurred
under both.

> Vaguely I remember hearing about problems with xterm -- how about other
> terminal emulations that you can use with X?  Or maybe update to the
> latest xterm; see: "http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html".

I tried using script command, but it doesn't run within GNU screen.
I'll try some other virtual terminals such as rxvt and a newer version
of xterm to see whether the problem follows me there.

> Since I compile screen with ncursesw and don't use X, I suppose I'd better
> just clam up rather than confuse the issue.  I'd be very interested if
> you find a solution; please report back.  Thanks.

I just use whatever is default in pkgsrc.  I'll report back if I find a
solution, but it may take a while. =)

Ben