Subject: Re: xterm && screen && (lynx || centericq) == garbled
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2004 21:18:26
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 02:55:57PM -0800, Ben Collver wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 07:09:26AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > Seldom (or never) do I experience "garble the screen ... like it is
> > displaying the wrong character encoding".  Occasionally I will loose
> > the default foreground color (off-yellow changes to white) set via
> > PuTTY.  (Still, I do find myself pressing ^L a lot, mostly in nvi.)
>
> I believe I mentioned it only happens on xterm.  I do use PuTTY a fair
> amount of time, and the problem neverhappens there.

Sorry I didn't pick up on the only xterm part.  I wonder if there is any
chance it could be a font problem?  (BTW, I'm curious as to what font you
use for PuTTY.  I use "MS Gothic" in order to get CJK, but I'd like to
find a complete UTF-8, fixed space font for MS Windows.)

Vaguely I remember hearing about problems with xterm -- how about other
terminal emulations that you can use with X?  Or maybe update to the
latest xterm; see: "http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html".

> > About the problem, what curses did you use to compile screen?  If you
[...]
> Screen is also linked to native NetBSD curses.  I was using the default

Since I compile screen with ncursesw and don't use X, I suppose I'd better
just clam up rather than confuse the issue.  I'd be very interested if
you find a solution; please report back.  Thanks.

--
henry nelson