Subject: Re: xterm && screen && (lynx || centericq) == garbled
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/06/2004 14:55:57
On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 07:09:26AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> I don't know centericq.  I use lynx and mutt within GNU screen daily.
> My emulation is PuTTY on WindowsXP -- worlds apart, but similar in many
> respects to xterm.
>
> Seldom (or never) do I experience "garble the screen ... like it is
> displaying the wrong character encoding".  Occasionally I will loose
> the default foreground color (off-yellow changes to white) set via
> PuTTY.  (Still, I do find myself pressing ^L a lot, mostly in nvi.)

I believe I mentioned it only happens on xterm.  I do use PuTTY a fair
amount of time, and the problem neverhappens there.

> > something.  lynx is using BSD curses.  centericq is using ncurses.
>
> For my own knowledge, can someone confirm whether or not NetBSD's native
> curses is the same thing as ncurses?  Thanks.

No it is not.

> About the problem, what curses did you use to compile screen?  If you
> used ncurses (as opposed to ncursesw) perhaps that is the problem.  Did
> you say you were using utf-8?  If so, you'll probably need a multibyte
> capable curses.

Screen is also linked to native NetBSD curses.  I was using the default
configuration of lynx from pkgsrc, but I don't know if that uses utf-8
or not.

Thanks for the response,

Ben