Subject: Re: pkgsrc stable branches
To: Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/05/2004 21:04:59
On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 01:57:07PM +0100, Florian Stoehr wrote:
> In pkgsrc documenatation and websites, one cannot find info about the
> stable pkgsrc branches.
>
> Maybe it'd be good to mention that there are stable branches and which is
> the latest?
>
> A single line "Latest stable pkgsrc is pkgsrc-2004Q3" on top of the pkgsrc
> website might be useful, as well as a hint about the stable branches in
> the pkgsrc documentation itself. If there is already a hint, then it's not
> clear enough and/or I missed it.
>
> I use pkgsrc for years, and I read Alistair's posts. But think about a new
> user -> Perhaps it's better not to tell a new user to use the -current
> version of pkgsrc.

We only have one pkgsrc "stable" branch in existence at any one time.
Right now, the latest is pkgsrc-2004Q3.  We'll be starting a freeze
tomorrow, in preparation for the pkgsrc-2004Q4 branch.  The freeze
will take a maximum of two weeks.  When the new branch is cut, the
previous branch is deprecated, and we move onto the brand, spanking
new shiny branch.  In addition, cvs can tell you the tags on the
various files in pkgsrc.

However, you do make a good point - in general, we should have more
pointers to the pkgsrc branches in our documentation, and, as soon as
I find out how to modify it, I'll add it to the pkgsrc guide :-).

> I live a lot happier with the stable pkgsrc branches (btw, thanks for the
> freezes!)

Thanks for the kind words.

I think we should all thank the pkgsrc releng guys for this - they are
the ones at the sharp end who do the hard work.

Best wishes,
Alistair