Subject: Re: netbsd-2-0-RELEASE
To: None <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/05/2004 08:18:53

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> replied:
> There was solaris 2.6 (which was SunOS 5.6) and then there was solaris 7
> (which was SunOS 5.7).

 I first remember the "Solaris" word being used by Sun about 1992.  I
think they originally intended it to be used to describe SunOS +
OpenWindows.  And it was defined a bit more like this:

Solaris 1      SunOS 4 (BSD) + OpenWindows
Solaris 2      SunOS 5 (SYSVile) + OpenWindows

  The second digit was an indicator of the Version of SunOS:

Solaris 2.1 included SunOS 5.1

Solaris 1.1 (i think) included SunOS 4.1

 However, about 1998, some bright marketeer(s) at Sun decided that going
from 2.6 to 2.7 just didn't seem good enough, and so they went from 2.6 to
7.  I think they may have been imitating Oracle.  I receied a plastic
travel cup from Sun for participating in the 2.7 beta program, and it
actually says, "Solaris 2.7."  Someday, maybe i'll sell it for lots of
money on Ebay, although maybe i'll get didly squat, because it smells like
old coffee.

 The frustrating thing about the terminology was that Sun introduced the
word "Solaris" at the same time they launched SunOS 5.  So everyone
refered to the SunOS 5 distribution "Solaris" and the older SunOS 4
dist. as "SunOS." So i spent a lot of time trying to explain to people
that the terms were vague and confusing, but it was about as effective as
telling people that the 3rd Millennium didn't start on 1 Jan 2000.

 -johan