Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: Thomas T. Thai <tom@minnesota.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/03/2004 13:45:41
In message <41B0AB94.9040804@minnesota.com>, "Thomas T. Thai" writes:
>Does NetBSD automatically check for scripts in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d and
>execute them if necessary? I'm guessing not. If not, why do use put
>install scripts there (ex. apache) instead of /etc/rc.d?

No, /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d is not consulted by default.  One reason is
because file systems -- including, for many people, /usr -- are mounted
by an /etc/rc.d script, so /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d isn't yet available.

The files are not installed in /etc/rc.d by default because of a desire
to keep all pkgsrc-built files under /usr/pkg.  Beyond that, putting
something in /etc/rc.d often mandates a variable entry in /etc/defaults/
rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf; you don't want pkgsrc touching the former, and
you have no idea what the user will want for the latter.

In other words, there are two mutally conflicting requirements.  Choose
your poison...