Subject: static route via address/squid
To: None <>
From: Zafer Aydogan <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/03/2004 15:58:09
Hello Mailing-List,

I have a router with 2 network interface, with a transparent Proxy on it.
The Router can access both networks and
The Router has a default gateway which points to
But the Proxy (squid) on the same machine should use our second gateway = which is a host in the network.
The Rule for that in squid.conf is
Unfortunately this dosn't work, because .0.22 isn't an interface on the
router but a host in the same network, I think.
I get following Error Message:

While trying to retrieve the URL:
The following error was encountered:
Socket Failure
The system returned:
    (49) Can't assign requested address
Squid is unable to create a TCP socket, presumably due to excessive load.
Please retry your request.

Your cache administrator is

While it works fine with

I could add another alias ip on the router.
#ifconfig alias
so that Squid can see the ip --
but how can I set as a route to which is on the
same network, and directly reachable,
or in other words, how can I bring Squid to use 0.22 as a gateway but the
router (which is himself a gateway) 254.254

Any Ideas ?
Thanks in advance.