Subject: Re: netbsd-2-0-RELEASE
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/03/2004 10:14:22
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 04:05:45PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>> http://www.netbsd.org/Changes/#nr-scheme-changes
>>
>> It has happened, and that's that.
>> I think it's unfortunate.
>>
>> Previously we had:
>> 1.6 - the base for the 1.6 branch.
>> 1.6<letter> - further development from 1.6 to whatever next release was.
>>               (minor or major)
>> 1.6.<digit> - official releases with fixes on the 1.6 branch.
>>
>> If code needed some system service that was implemented first in 1.6, they
>> could easily check if __NetBSD_Version__ > 106000000, and it worked, even
>> if you happened to running -current.
>>
>> Now, all of a sudden, if you are running current, you're basically shot.
>> You'll have 299rrpp00, while when 2.1 comes out, it will have 201rrpp00.
>> Yet, 2.1 might very well have stuff that -current of today don't have.
>
> no, because 2.1 will be a patch release of 2.0, just like 1.6.1 was a patch
> release of 1.6. There will never be a 201rrpp00 for current, the next current
> will ne 399rrpp00

Okay, got it now. So in short, we don't have any minor releases anymore?
We have just major releases and patches?

Interesting concept. I guess any change in systems calls, or other surgery
now means a new major release then. Hmm, any feature extensions should
also mean a new major release. What else?

 	Johnny