Subject: Re: Manipulating/backing up HFS+ files
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Alex Dumitriu <alex.dumitriu@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/2004 21:50:03
To clarify further:

netatalk uses the .AppleDouble folder in each directory to store all
the resource forks for the files in that directory. As long as your
backup scheme preserves those .AppleDouble directories, permissions
and all, you should be fine.

The one catch is that you have to present the restored files to the
mac using netatalk, which will automagically reunite the resource
forks with the data forks. If you just untar (or whatever) directly on
a mac, you'll get a big pile of uselessness.

Cheers,
-alex.