Subject: Re: netbsd-2-0-RELEASE
To: None <>
From: Richard Rauch <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/01/2004 11:32:01
If I may offer an opinion:

I'm sure that everyone would have been delighted to have fewer bugs
and more features.  However, the last release of NetBSD was 1.6.
The featureset and drivers supported by 1.6 were all that were
going to be supported by a NetBSD release until 2.0 came out,

If you're happy with the 1.6 feature set, I would expect that NetBSD
will see at least one more 1.6.x release.  You can continue to run
that while 2.x shakes out a round or two of bugs.

Had 2.0 been delayed longer, it would still have bugs when it came out.
Since 2.0 was already in feature-freeze, and will almost certainly have
patch releases, there is diminishing return on postponing a release.

Some might not have cut it just yet.  Others might have cut it long
ago.  Some may resist deploying 2.0.  But it's not our call to say
when to release it and in half a year we should have a 2.1 I'd
guess, at which point the technical foibles of 2.0 won't matter
and we can argue about 2.1.  (Well, the technical foibles that might
have been fixed by delaying 2.0's release will likely either be
history by the time of 2.1, or else we'd likely still have them if
2.0 was held off that long...)


I'm looking forward to hearing its official release, though it
missed my birthday by over 2 weeks (sob) and for various reasons
I think that I'll keep 1.6 on most of my systems---except the AMD64,
which I think will track -current, and the laptop which is trapped
in a pre-2.0 -current as driver changes keep me from updating it.
(Yes, there's a PR out on the driver---I might be able to use the
2.0 driver, if that particular driver was only updated after the
2.0 cut; but even then, it required a local hack ever since the
1.5 days.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."