Subject: Re: netbsd-2-0-RELEASE
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/30/2004 16:17:33
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > no SMP support on i386 is a showstopper for the 1.6
> > branch.
>
> It shouldn't be.  The ratio of UP to MP machines is nowhere near high
> enough to make it a "showstopper".

Uniprocessor machines have nothing to do with the original statement.  The
point is that MP support is useless in 1.6, so folks wanting to run MP with
a released version are screwed currently.  (In 1.6, it's slower than UP at
times -- when it doesn't fall over altogether under load.)

2.0 is in a stable enough state that releng felt worthy of release.  Sure,
it has bugs, and probably regressions from 1.6.  That's true of any OS
vendor, and NetBSD doesn't have anywhere near the [paid] manpower to ensure
that only "bugfree" code is released.

I'll say it yet again:  "We can't please all of the people all of the time."

(It's funny; I'm starting to feel like an endless loop tape.  The problem
is, the volume must be awfully low, because scarce few are listening.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>