Subject: ath(4) wlan adhoc
To: None <>
From: Sascha Retzki <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/30/2004 17:17:22
Hi again :),

After finally finding a card that is supported by nbsd, namely a D-Link DWL
G520 (ath(4)), I am a bit lost with the complexity of wlan in general, imho.

However, I want to get the ath to work in ad-hoc mode with some windows-machine
in another room ( want to route him into the internet later ).

so I set to:
ifconfig ath0 media OFDM54 mode 11g mediaopt adhoc chan 11 ssid test
ifconfig ath0 up

The other computer runs Win***, has a Broadcom card with Belkin drivers/frontend
I see the ssid in their GUI. It seems like I can connect to it, wonderfull.

However the only working ping is the broadcom that pings itsself (,
netbsd/ath can't ping at all.
I end up with the ath:
MEniac% ifconfig ath0
        ssid internet
        powersave off
        bssid 06:78:9d:03:6c:31 chan 11
        address: 00:0f:3d:ae:24:41
        media: IEEE802.11 OFDM54 mode 11g adhoc (autoselect mode 11g adhoc)
        status: active
        inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
        inet6 fe80::20f:3dff:feae:2441%ath0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

and I wish I could paste that for the broadcom, too ;| . However.
Any ideas what I do wrong? What is the BSSID? It is the same address
on both computers (tho that belkin "tool" calls it AP MAC).