Subject: Re: What do you recommend?
To: Glen Johnson <nelg@rev.net>
From: Alex Dumitriu <alex.dumitriu@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/24/2004 23:32:10
Greetings,

I am assuming from the fact that you refer to HyperTerminal that you
need to see the output from a serial connection. The simplest (and
built-in) answer would be tip, see the man pages for tip(1) and
remote(5) for more information. Tip does not, however, support
capturing to a file (at least to my cursory glance).

One step up would be minicom, which can be found in pkgsrc/comms. It
does everything tip does, is more user friendly, and can log output to
a file. Plentiful information can be found on minicom via your
favorite search engine.

For all-out serial management, you could step up again to conserver,
also in pkgsrc/comms. Conserver will run as a daemon and can log
output whether you're looking or not. It can also allow multiple
viewers to see the same serial output in multiple windows at the same
time. This is probably overkill for your needs.

Hope this helps,

-alex