Subject: Re: Centralized User and Password Management
To: None <>
From: Jukka Salmi <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/24/2004 17:19:32
Ben Collver --> netbsd-users (2004-11-24 07:43:22 -0800):
> The last time I tried to configure Kerberos, xdm and ssh would not
> authenticate against it.  This was inconvenient because I typically use
> these to log in.
> Doing a quick check, ssh is now linked to libkrb5, but xdm is not.
> What do you use to start X?

Yes, sshd (at least on NetBSD 2.0 and -current) seems to be able to
authenticate against a kdc (if KerberosAuthentication is set to 'yes').
However, AFAICT xdm still needs to be patched to do this. That's why
I use use /usr/bin/login (which uses the Kerberos libs) and start X
manually using startx.

BTW: Roland C. Dowdeswell patched xdm[1] to use krb5 authentication.
See for details. I used his work
some months ago and got it to work with XFree86 4.4.0. Unfortunately
I can't find the patch right now...

Cheers, Jukka

bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~