Subject: Fw: Re: soft updates
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?C=E9sar_Catri=E1n?= C. <ccatrian@eml.cc>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/24/2004 11:16:04
>On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, C=E9sar Catri=E1n C. wrote:
>> I had a problem with soft updates that was solved in NetBSD 2.0BETA, a c=
ouple of months ago.
>> The problem derived in a lot of disk activity and system hangup usually =
triggered by unpacking some file, and buildlinking any package from pkgsrc.
>> Today I was generating an image file using xcdroast, and the problem hap=
pened again. Nevertheless, the system works pretty fine with normal tasks.
>> I am right now using sources from RC5.

> First, please note that you sent this to the wrong list - tech-pkg is for=
=20
> discussion about the NetBSD (well) pkgsrc system, not any system problems.
> Try netbsd-users@netbsd.org.
> Please include some more details in your report, esp. a stack backtrace o=
n=20
> where it hangs. (make sure X doesn't run when it happens, ctl+alt+esc,=20
> bt).

> Could you be a little more specific? What problem do you see?

The failure I had with softupdates when using 2.0BETA until last days of se=
ptember was very unusual and singular.
After a lot of disk activity, like buildlinking some package and untarring =
some source, both activities done at the same time, the system did not resp=
ond and the disk keept working, in an intermitent but noticeable way.

But now, the tasks I was doing were different. I was compiling a package, a=
nd creating some image from a cd. There was a lot of disk activity, the ima=
ge was created with maxim speed and the system hanged, the mouse pointer st=
ill moved but the keyboard was dead, and the disk keept working.

How can I get a good backtrace of this problem?

thanks.

C=E9sar