Subject: Re: Centralized User and Password Management
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/24/2004 21:38:59
--AAxWdR3COjAeVN+/

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 09:48:50AM +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
  | On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:44:10 +0000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
  |=20
  | > On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 12:18:43AM -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:
  | >   | Thomas T. Thai wrote:
  | >   | >I'm curious what people are using to centralize authentication a=
nd
  | >   | >user, password, and services management. What are your thoughts =
on
  | >   | >each? I'm aware of these Open Source solutions:
  | >   | >
  | >   | >- NIS (YP) - insecure
  | >   | >- Hesiod + Kerberos
  | >   |=20
  | >   | The next two candidates would be LDAP and maybe even Apple's NetI=
nfo.
  | >=20
  | > Another possibility in the near future:
  | > 	Active Directory Services from a Microsoft Windows 200x Server
  | > It's implemented on top of LDAP + Kerberos 5. You can use kinit to get
  | > krb5 tickets from an ADS server in NetBSD.
  |=20
  | Please, is it already possible to have the nss_ldap module on NetBSD to
  | use any LDAP server as the user database?

No; unless someone else has ported nss_ldap.so to NetBSD-current.

Note that I recently changed the API between get{pw,gr}* and
the NSS backends to make it easier to implement third party
nss_foo modules like LDAP & Winbind.

I intend to port PADL's nss_ldap.so to NetBSD and/or write one from
scratch, sometime in the future.

--AAxWdR3COjAeVN+/

--AAxWdR3COjAeVN+/--