Subject: Re: mirroring for more than two disks?
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/24/2004 15:43:24
--S4drRqups3dkeHIl

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 03:15:46PM +1100, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
  | Having just read some articles which made me rethink the merits of
  | RAID10 as opposed to RAID5 I'm considering switching my systems to this
  | setup ... unfortunately it appears that the RAIDFrame system can't
  | mirror to more than one disk ... is this restriction likely to be lifted
  | in the near future?

RAID10 is a RAID0 stripe of RAID1 mirrors:
    -	with 4 disks, you have a stripe of two mirrors
    -	with 6 disks, you have a stripe of three mirrors
    	(etc)

There's no specific requirement to mirror with >2 disks
per stripe component.

Generally you don't want RAID01 (a mirror of stripes),
since losing a single disk in a stripe component makes
the entire set non-redundant.

I used to use RAID10.   I now just manually manage multiple
RAID1 sets, as it makes it easier to recover parts of a system
with just one functional disk.

--S4drRqups3dkeHIl

--S4drRqups3dkeHIl--