Subject: Re: moving a Windows user to NetBSD
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Jon Drews <jon.drews@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/21/2004 12:29:27
Hi Steve:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:32:07 -0500, Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com> wrote:
> I'm going to be setting up a new NetBSD box for a long-time Windows
> user.  The applications are comparatively casual -- web, email, some
> word-processing.  I'm curious what environment people would recommend
> -- KDE or gnome, for example.

 I would also include Gnome Gnumeric, which is an excellent
spreadsheet. NetBSD has the latest version (1.2.13). For word
processing, the commercial TextMaker works quite well. It requires the
installation of the linux emulation pkgsrc.  TextMaker does a good job
on *.doc import/export.

                                                              Kind regards,

                                                              Jonathan