Subject: Re: slow cvs server
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/20/2004 21:13:52
In article <23004.1100875898@www44.gmx.net>,
	"Zafer Aydogan" <zafer@gmx.org> writes:
> But if I try to "cvs update" another machine in the Network, which is
> connected aswell via 100Mbit/s, the updating process takes far longer than
> via the Internet. (2Mbit/s).

CVS performance doesn't depend much on network bandwidth. The most
important factor is the filesystem performance of the CVS server.
That's why e.g. "anoncvs.netbsd.org" is equipped with enough memory
to keep the repository in the buffer cache. This reduces disk I/O to
a minium and helps performance a lot.

> What could be the problem ?

What are you really comparing? Are you comparing an update from e.g.
"anoncvs.netbsd.org" with an update from a local server?

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/