Subject: Re: 2.0rc4 unstability
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@kyyhky.embedtronics.fi>
From: Rich Neswold <rich.neswold@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/18/2004 08:20:52
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:10:09 +0200, Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi> wrote:
> Ok, I reduced the swap partition size to 4 GB.  Rebooted, lanched gimp,
> created a 6200x9000 image, tried to save it and FREEZE.  Still nothing
> on the serial console.  Can't get a login prompt, ssh connection froze
> etc.  And it still pings.

I recently put v1.6.2 on an old desktop. Within a day, I'd repeatedly
get a kernel panic. After digging around for solutions, I decided to
run memtest86. memtest86 flagged one of my DIMMs as bad! Once I fixed
the memory, v1.6.2 has been rock stable (as you'd expect.)

I mention this because your example has you opening a *huge* image
with the GIMP, so you're going to be using enough memory to span DIMMs
(or whatever packaging your memory is.) You may simply have a memory
problem.

--
Rich

AIM : rnezzy