Subject: Re: /etc/inittab in Netbsd
To: antonio larripa <tonyex@yahoo.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/14/2004 14:04:41
[ On Saturday, November 13, 2004 at 14:28:26 (-0800), antonio larripa wrote: ]
> Subject: /etc/inittab in Netbsd
>
> I wonder if there is an utility in netbsd that can
> watch/control my running daemons and restart them if
> they got killed or stoped.
>
> I aim for an "AIX src" like framework.

NetBSD daemons don't stop and NetBSD users don't kill their daemons
unless they really do want them to stop and stay stopped!  :-)

Also since all proper *BSD daemons will automatically put themselves
into the background when they're started it's difficult (and sometimes
impossible without changing them inside) to monitor them in the way SysV
init or thei AIX src thing does (the monitor program would see them die
and disappear and would try to restart them when in fact they've simply
forked off into the background and are stil happily running just fine!).

Seriously though if that's your worry then it's probably best to use
some kind of active monitoring system such as the net-snmp daemons.

It's fairly easy to configure snmpd to monitor running processes and to
send SNMP traps and whenever something fails unexpectedly.

--
						Greg A. Woods