Subject: Re: Exim with Exiscan
To: Steve Brown <steve@daedilus.org>
From: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/05/2004 01:56:08
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Steve Brown wrote:

> I've quickly checked over the configure file in /usr/pkg/etc/exim.  As I
> understand it, this should work as a basic configuration without any
> alterations (although I do appreciate I will need to change it at some point
> soon).

You really should edit the default configuration - it does almost
definitely not suit your needs. Maybe Exim doesn't even start with just
the default configuration in place ...

> I've reconfigured the mailer.conf file in /etc, and now neither sendmail nor
> exim is present in the process list after a reboot.

This is how your mailer.conf should look like:

#       $NetBSD: mailer.conf.exim,v 1.2 2003/09/02 10:33:41 abs Exp $
#
# Use "exim" as replacement for "sendmail".
#
sendmail        /usr/pkg/sbin/exim
send-mail       /usr/pkg/sbin/exim
mailq           /usr/pkg/sbin/exim
newaliases      /usr/pkg/sbin/exim

> I'm guessing I'm missing a few fairly important (and silly) things here, but
> as I'm pretty new to Exim et al, I have no idea what the missing thing is
> exactly.

Did you set

exim=YES               exim_flags="-bd -q15m"

in /etc/rc.conf? If yes, have a look at the various logfiles located under
/var/log/exim and post any error messages you'll find there.

> Any assistance anyone can give would be appreciated.

When you actually manage to start Exim, you should have a look at
http://slett.net/spam-filtering-for-mx/. Tor Slettnes describes quite a
lot of anti-spam techniques in this document (even though probably not
everything he writes can be applied to your scenario). It is a very good
starting point, and the greylisting stuff really gets you rid of almost
100% of the spam.

> Steve Brown

Bye, K&K,
T-Zee
--
thiesi@NetWork23.Sytes.NET ---- NetBSD: Power to the people!
Tel.: ++49-(0)171-416 05 09 -- Fax: ++49-(0)171-134 16 05 09