Subject: Re: mozilla very unstable on 2.0rc4
To: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/26/2004 20:18:14
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Jorgen Lundman wrote:

> I find mozilla being unstable if you compile in unmodified.
>
> I posted about the DNS settings 28/01/04, for some reason our getaddrinfo()
> do not appear to be thread safe, or at least it can (easily) stall forever. I
> found if I take out "_PR_HAVE_GETADDRINFO" in
> ./nsprpub/pr/include/md/_netbsd.h it
> run _a lot_ better. Even with NetBSD 2.0 RC4.

I guess that's because you're taking out IPV6 support. The "broken DNS"
I wrote of below involves blackholing requests for AAAA records.  (Top
posting, huh.)

> Another issue is it frequently runs out of shmem. Not sure if it is leaking,
> or just never releasing it. This is noticable when you view photoshop
> competitions and so on. Increasing shmem in your kernel config (or gdb your
> kernel) improves this. "ipcs -m" shows you used memory IIRC. This becomes a
> bigger burden if you use X11vnc/x0rfbserver as well.
>
> Apart from those two, 1.7.3 has been very stable.
>
> Lund

That's interesting. I've already bumped shmem to 32Mb on all my X log
hosts, so maybe that accounts for my better luck with the random crashes?

Frederick