Subject: Re: mozilla very unstable on 2.0rc4
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/26/2004 18:49:04
In article <417ED51E.8050607@mukappabeta.de>,
	mkb@mukappabeta.de (Matthias Buelow) writes:
> Hello folks,
>
> anyone else seeing this?
>
> Mozilla 1.7.3 seems to be _extremely_ unstable on 2.0rc4 (i386). Here,
> it crashes every couple minutes, sometimes more often, without any
> recognizable pattern.  Even when it's doing trivial things, or just
> sitting there and idling.  I mean, it's a long learned lesson that
> Mozilla may crash every now and then, although that has become quite
> rare with newer Mozilla releases, but I've never seen a situation when
> it is as bad as it was now.  Not even in the heyday Netscape 4 days.

I'm running 1.7.3 on a couple of different 2.0rc4 hosts without such
problems. The worst issue I see, is that hangs up forever on links to
sites with broken DNS, particularly "doubleclick.net".

> For comparison, the same version on FC2 Linux and WinXP runs very
> stable.  Unfortunately, the core file isn't really helpful, the trace
> always looks more or less like the following:
>
> #0  0x486a4feb in kill () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
> #1  0x486c31a8 in raise () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
> #2  0x4bd021e9 in nsProfileLock::FatalSignalHandler(int) ()
>     from /usr/pkg/lib/mozilla-gtk2/components/libprofile.so
> #3  0x4867fc73 in pthread__signal_deferred () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0
>
> Do others also experience this?  Or are my .mozilla profiles broken in
> some way that cause it to misbehave so grossly?  Could it be some
> badness with the new scheduler activations stuff and the pthread lib?

You may have a corrupted profile. I seem to remember running into
something like that before. Have you ever run Netscape 7 with the
same profile you now use for mozilla?

For what it's worth, since purging Netscape 7 from all my systems,
I haven't had any problems sharing profiles between disparate hosts
(Windows and NetBSD). At some point in the past, I copied the whole
profile directory from one to the other, and I only push around the
files "bookmarks.html cookies.txt *.s *.w" to keep them in sync.

Frederick