Subject: 2 TB partition limit?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Glen Kaukola <glen@cert.ucr.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/26/2004 14:08:23
Howdy,

So I'm trying out NetBSD 2.0 rc4, in hopes of maybe switching some Linux
fileservers over once 2.0 comes out, but I've encountered a problem with
my RAID unit.

The RAID unit is a SATA to SCSI device that attaches to a SCSI port on
the back of my NetBSD machine.  The RAID I've built on it is currently
around 3.5 TB in size.

Now the problem, is that when I boot up, it only lists the device as
being 2 TB.  Here's what dmesg is showing me:

sd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <SB-3140, , 0001> disk fixed
sd0: 2047 GB, 262143 cyl, 128 head, 128 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4294950912
sectors

And of course when I go to partition the disk, the largest partition it
seems to let me make is exactly 2 TB.  So would anyone know a way around
this?  Or would this just happen to be a limitation that NetBSD
currently has?

On a side note, I was thinking that maybe writing zeros to the beginning
of the drive would help, but I'm unsure of how to do this, being that
/dev/sd0 doesn't even exist.  The manual does say sd0d would be the
whole disk, so if I wanted to do that, then maybe /dev/sd0d would be
what I write zeros to?

Thanks in advance,
Glen