Subject: PATH problem with java (sun-1.5)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <Florence.Henry@obspm.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/20/2004 17:26:12
Hello,

I cannot manage to make java working properly on my machine (NetBSD
2.0_RC4 on i386).

a simple "java -version" gives me : <<There was an error trying to
initialize the HPI library.>>

A ktrace shows that java does not find libhpi.so :

  3010 java     NAMI  "/emul/linux/usr/native_threads/libhpi.so"
  3010 java     NAMI  "/usr/native_threads/libhpi.so"
  3010 java     RET   open -1 errno -2 No such file or directory  3010
  3010 java     CALL  write(1,0xbfbfcaa0,0x39)
  3010 java     GIO   fd 1 wrote 57 bytes
       "There was an error trying to initialize the HPI library.
       "

This file does exist in :
/usr/pkg/java/sun-1.5/lib/i386/native_threads/libhpi.so*

When I make a symbolic link of this file in a place where java is
searching it, the same "java -version" fails with

<< Error occurred during initialization of VM
Unable to load native library: /usr/libjava.so: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory >>

So I think that there is a problem of path somewhere, but which
environment variable is to be set to solve this problem ?

Thanks for any tip.

----
Florence HENRY
florence.henry@obspm.fr