Subject: Re: umass / sd and hotplug
To: iMil <imil@home.imil.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/18/2004 11:59:43
In message <20041018165749.M13813@zone3.gcu-squad.org>, iMil writes:

>Hi list,
>
>I use different usb keys with my NetBSD 2.0_RC4 and I notice the same
>behaviour. When booting with the key plugged in, sd0 shows up on the boot
>log as shown :
>
>[...]
>umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
>scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
>sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Generic, STORAGE DEVICE, 0125> disk
>removable
>[...]
>
>everything's ok, I can mount it, play with it, I can unplug / replug it,
>it will work as expected.
>
>Now, if I boot the box without the key being plugged on, here's what I get
>when I plug it after the boot has completed :
>
>umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
>umass0: Lexar Media JumpDrive Trio, rev 2.00/1.25, addr 2
>umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
>umass0: no buffer memory
>
>and nothing more, no sd0 reference and of course the mount fails.
>Am I missing something here or do you beleive this is worth a PR ?

This subject has been discussed repeatedly, most recently about a week
ago.  Frank van der Linden posted a workaround patch; it's running
beautifully for me on 2.0rc3 and 2.0rc4; see
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2004/10/11/0000.html

I don't think you should post a new PR; it's very well known, and I
think there are other PRs outstanding on the exact same problem.