Subject: Re: /etc/ttys and xdm
To: Ian P. Thomas <ipt@scraemon.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/15/2004 19:54:55
On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 08:44:44PM +0000, Ian P. Thomas  wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 10:00:54AM +0300, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've installed NetBSD 2.0RC1 and configured xdm to start automatically.
> > Unfortunately, this way the first virtual console becomes useless and there
> > are some timeout errors about it.  When in /etc/ttys I make console "off"
> > and ttyE0 "on" (i.e. toggle both), this problem gets fixed.
> >
> > Is this intentional behaviour?  If it is, I would like to forward requst to
> > netbsd-docs@ to mention this in The NetBSD Guide.  Or at least add it to
> > http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/x/
> >
> > Regards,
> > ogi
>
> This allows messages sent to the console to be displayed in your X session.
> Without it, you might miss important messages sent to the console.
>
> Check out the files:
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/{xdm-config,GiveConsole,TakeConsole}
> for the gory details.

You can also change the /etc/ttys entry from /dev/console to /dev/constty.
/dev/constty is always the console device, but output to it is not
grabbed by the TIOCCONS ioctl.

This is used (by init) in single user mode, and specifically so that
sysinst can intercept writes to /dev/console and then write them out
to the console device without them messing up the curses screen.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk