Subject: Re: Weird xauth problem
To: Steven M. Bellovin <>
From: Richard Rauch <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/13/2004 23:19:22
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 11:27:57PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> In message <>, Richard Rauch writes:
> >I *have* seen it, sometimes, with other programs.
> >
> >I have never found it to consistantly happen.  Usually if a program fails,
> >I can get it to work by just retrying it.
> Is there a setuid program involved anywhere?  In most NFS configurations,
> root wouldn't have privileges over NFS, which means that the program
> couldn't read the proper .Xauthority file.

I've seen it happen with user-compiled programs that use the GLUT
(or competing) library to open an X window with an OpenGL rendering
context.  Unless linking to some library in /usr/pkg/lib/* or
/usr/X11R6/lib/* runs setuid binaries, these should not be

Also, why would the problem be intermittant, if it were setuid
related?  Re-running the program often succeeds (no recompile,
no change of user id, etc.).

While I certainly could be ignorant of something that would make
this an issue, it doesn't make sense to me.  Not for the problem
that I've seen.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."