Subject: Re: Weird xauth problem
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/13/2004 23:19:22
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 11:27:57PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> In message <20041013213801.GA14914@olib.org>, Richard Rauch writes:
 [...]
> >I *have* seen it, sometimes, with other programs.
> >
> >I have never found it to consistantly happen.  Usually if a program fails,
> >I can get it to work by just retrying it.
 [...]
> Is there a setuid program involved anywhere?  In most NFS configurations,
> root wouldn't have privileges over NFS, which means that the program
> couldn't read the proper .Xauthority file.

I've seen it happen with user-compiled programs that use the GLUT
(or competing) library to open an X window with an OpenGL rendering
context.  Unless linking to some library in /usr/pkg/lib/* or
/usr/X11R6/lib/* runs setuid binaries, these should not be
setuid.

Also, why would the problem be intermittant, if it were setuid
related?  Re-running the program often succeeds (no recompile,
no change of user id, etc.).

While I certainly could be ignorant of something that would make
this an issue, it doesn't make sense to me.  Not for the problem
that I've seen.