Subject: Re: DVD support
To: Ronald van der Pol <>
From: Richard Rauch <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/11/2004 05:56:47
There's not a whole lot to say about DVDs, as I see it.  One can
stretch it out by looking at several aspects:

1) DVD drives can read CDs and if you put a CD in them they act just
like CD drives.

2) If you put a DVD in them, they should act like a *big* CD.

3) I believe that even movie DVDs just use an ISO 9660-like filesystem,
though to do much of anything with the movie data, you'd not only
need a movie player---none ships with the base system---but would
also normally need to unencrypt it.  The decryption software gets
into some murky legal waters as I understand it, so I wouldn't look
for the decryption software to ever ship with the base system.

4) DVD burners...  Dunno.  I don't have any.  But even CD burners
have no supporting tools for burning that ship WITH the system.  However,
check pkgsrc for "cdrecord", "dvdrecord", and "dvd+rw-tools" as some
reasonable starting point.

IMHO, since 3 & 4 have nothing to do with the base system, mentioning
them in the install documentation would be like mentioning image processing,
PostScript-to-printer translations, etc.

Maybe items 1 & 2 could be rolled into a paragraph, with 3 & 4 given a
further (single) sentence: For more DVD drive support, consult the
package system that NetBSD uses (pkgsrc).

I think that a whole section on DVD drives would make them appear to
be more complicated and special than they seem to be.

Just my 2.718281828459045... cents' worth, adjusted for inflation.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."