Subject: Re: Verifying and updating NetBSD
To: Asmodehn <asmodehn@9online.fr>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/09/2004 05:29:19
    Date:        Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:06:17 +0200
    From:        Asmodehn <asmodehn@9online.fr>

[Quoting Jeremy C. Reed]
  | > There are plans to implement a packaging system for the base system=
 and
  | > there has been work on it. I don't know what its status is.
  | > =

  | Are you sure there are plans to do that ?
  | =

  | To me this seems to be a major difference between Linux and BSD =

  | philosophy. BSD is a whole base system. Linux is a kernel, and you ha=
ve =

  | to add third party package to build a system...

System packages don't mean any change to the distribution method that
you'll really notice - they certainly don't mean that you get the kernel
from one place, libc from another, and ls from a third.

All it really means is a slightly modified tar file (that is, with a
bunch of extra non-isntalled files added) that then allows for much
better record keeping of what is installed, and exactly where it came
from.   (And it might perhaps mean a greater choice as to what gets
installed, but that's really an orthogonal change, if made.  We could
already have lots more smaller sets, rather than just a few big ones,
a change from sets to packages as the distribution file format doesn't
really imply anything, one way or the other, there).

kre