Subject: Re: color in console
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/08/2004 09:53:43
> Another question about the console terminal: color.  With the default
> TERM=vt220, mutt does not use the colors I defined.  It does when I set
> TERM=xterm (even in the console).  How comes?

The termcap definition for the vt220 (*) does not contain colour.  I'm fairly
sure that real DEC VT220's didn't support it, so it shouldn't be in the entry.
The WSCONS console is a superset of vt220 and supports colour (unless you have
selected Sun emulation).  So, you can use wsvt25 or wsvt25m as your terminal
type in order to get colour support on the console.

Setting your terminal type to xterm works because both the console and xterm
are based on the vt100 (although some things are different).

(*) See the vt220 entry in /usr/share/misc/termcap

--
  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/