Subject: Re: Package update disaster
To: Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/06/2004 14:51:10
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> And finally, the system assumed that the build of the new package would
> succeed, which it did not. In fact, there seems to be a bug at the
> moment, which causes a build of mysql 4.0.20 to fail. So I started with
> an update of the pth package, which ended up in a failed build of mysql,
> leaving me without mysql on my running system :( I had to re-install
> mysql from a pre-built package from an FTP server.

Did you ever get the mysql server to build? If not you may want to report
your problem to tech-pkg.

> The pkgsrc guide recommends a user to type "make update" to update
> packages. I think the guide should be more conservative, and teach a
> user to be more cautious, and first type just "make", which will build
> new packages, but not remove anything. And if all the builds and their
> dependencies succeed, then proceed with a "make update".

What was the URL or location of that? I could probably add a note.

> And anyway, why does "make update" FIRST remove the old package? Would
> it not make sense to first build the new package(s), and if all the
> builds succeed, then to proceed with deleting the old packages and
> replacing them with new ones? That makes for a very small package
> unavailability window.

It needs to update the dependencies before it can rebuild any software
using them. It can't easily keep around the previous installed software if
any libraries and other dependencies are changed.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/