Subject: Re: External build of huge package
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/21/2004 12:33:58
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Asmodehn Shade wrote:

> I talked too fast... during the build process openoffice need to make
> some links and it doesn't work, because of my FAT disk, I think... I ll
> try wih another one.

  Maybe a union mount could solve it, so that writes go to a real FFS
filesystem.  (Or not, if the disk was low on space.  Unless the build
fails towards the end, in which case only those last writes will have to
be redirected.)

  Or you could create a big file on the USB disk (with dd) and create a
"proper" FFS filesystem inside it.  (If you have "vnd" in the kernel you
can mount it too, which would be good.  Read the man pages for vnd,
vnconfig.)

  These kinds of hacks can be very useful to know.  Have saved me from
learning how to do things properly lots of times.  :-)

Magnus