Subject: Re: Hard drive BIOS limits?
To: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/20/2004 18:33:00
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> On Monday 20 September 2004 12:34, James Gray wrote:
>> Can NetBSD access hard drives that are beyond BIOS limits? I have a
>> Pentium 200MMX machine, and i wish to install a 1.1GB hard rive (for
>> system) and a 120GB hard drive (for data). If i had the system booting
>> from the 1.1GB drive, would i be able to access the entire 120GB HDD?
>> (assuming the bios doesn't support it)
>
> Yes, it will work just fine.  NetBSD only uses the BIOS to access the disk
> inside the boot program.

 	If your BIOS is broken enough you may need to disable the second
 	disk entirely in it. I had to do that with two machines a while
 	back. NetBSD saw the additional drive(s) fine once the kernel
 	loaded from a disk small enough to not derange the BIOS.
 	Fortunately I've been able to move onto more capable obsolete
 	hardware since :)