Subject: Re: Looking for a large i386 "rescue" floppy/kernel
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/19/2004 14:20:45
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 09:05:52AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> you will fit normal NetBSD install without compilers+quite a load of
>> packages on 256MB device
>
> Yes, but I was hoping to use it as data storage too, so minimizing the
> amount of space used by NetBSD is helpful.

install NetBSD with all you want, then do a little cutoff :) (if you are
good 15-20MB should be a lot), then create file of that size +5-10%, use
vnconfig, disklabel, newfs,mount then copy everything to this except
kernel.

then compile your own kernel with right md options (md size=image you
created) and root on md0a etc.., then use mdsetimage on this kernel and
gzip it.

should EASILY fit on 10MB.

name this compressed image netbsd, put this and /usr/mdec/boot to your
flash device and use installboot to make it bootable.

you may create FAT filesystem on this so it will still be compatible with
windoze and almost everything. you /usr/mdec/bootxx_msdos to make this
bootable that case