Subject: Re: mini iPod gets no device in NetBSD 2.0-BETA
To: Christian Palomino <zakhrin@freeshell.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/13/2004 06:07:12
In message <20040913092829.2a0f108b.zakhrin@freeshell.org>, Christian Palomino
writes:

> I've got a mini iPod and I'm trying to make it work with my laptop, wich has
>USB2.0 ports but no firewire. When I plug the mini iPod to the USB port, the u
>mass0 and scsibus is detected, but no scsi device is detecetd for the iPod. I'
>ve found some references on how to solve the problem using firewire, but it's
>not my case. I'v got :

What version of NetBSD are you running?  It sounds to me very much like
the "no buffer memory problem", because the kernel doesn't have enough
contiguous memory for a USB drive and the driver doesn't know how to
use non-contiguous memory.  2.0beta and -current print an explicit
message about that; I don't think 1.6.x does.

The simplest bypass is to make sure the device is plugged in at boot
time.  Others report success with various uses of "dd" to flush memory;
I've had mixed results doing that.