Subject: Re: adding disk to a raid mirror
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/08/2004 13:58:12
Malcolm Herbert writes:
> When I originally set up this machine I had two 120G drives which I made
> into a raid mirror. Unfortunately one of the drives failed, and had to
> be returned under warranty. I bought another drive of the same make to
> use whilst it was being replaced, so now I have three drives I can use
> for my system.
>
> What I'd like to know is how I can add this third disk to my 2 disk
> mirror - is this possible or will I have to recreate the mirror from
> scratch?

RAIDframe doesn't support 3-way RAID-1 sets.  That said, you can probably
fake one up with some sort of layered RAID approach, (e.g. create a RAID-1
set, and then make another RAID 1 set with its components being the first
RAID-1 set and the 3rd drive.) but that might be more work than it's worth
(e.g. there probably isn't enough room on the existing drive to get a
component label in there, which may entail having to re-create all
the RAID sets...)

Later...

Greg Oster