Subject: Re: Flash for *BSD Petition
To: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/08/2004 19:54:34
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> You have it backwards.  The GPL promotes free as in speech, not beer.

Not at all. The GPL limits what you can do in order to make sure that
everybody can always get the source code to any binary version they have
without paying money for it.

"Without paying money" == free beer.

"Limit what you can do" == not free speech.

(E.g., I am not allowed to publish my modified binary--my own work, no
less!--without also being compelled to publish the source; my ability
to publish what I want to have been limited, as compared to non-GPL
software.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
     Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA