Subject: Re: Flash for *BSD Petition
To: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/01/2004 12:51:54
Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sat, 21 Aug 2004 @ 23:42 -0400, Louis Guillaume said:
>

>>Really? Who says that HTML is the be-all and end-all of the WWW?
>

> Who says it isn't?
>
> There is no WWW without HTML.  HTML is the hypertext standard for the
> WWW.

Certainly it's the basis and the standard. However it's not the only
thing out there. It's really up to what the browsers will support.

>>>This "SWF" media crap really must die.
>>>

>>...that ain't gonna happen! What about JavaScript and PostScript? That's
>>foreign code too.
>
> They are putting PostScript in web pages?  Ick...

Adobe's Acrobat reader plugin has been there since the dawn of plugins,
I believe.

Any kind of file can be transferred and run as long as there is a plugin
on the client side that is set up to handle the mime-type describing the
content coming in. This is dangerous in general.

I believe the plugin mechanism is an open standard (but don't really
know that for a fact). But there doesn't seem to be an open standard for
display of SWF files. You need the player from Macromedia. Therein lies
the problem.

>>What would be good is an Open and portable standard for Flash-like
>>content. Then the developers of plugins and containers that execute this
>>content on the client machine would be able to reliably provide
>>protection from evil foreign code.
>

> Snoball's chance in hell, methinks.
>
> I'd like to see it, but I don't think it will happen.
>
> I suppose time will tell since there are some projects created to fill
> this need.  No idea how well they are doing.

Yeah, it probably won't happen, but maybe Macromedia may take the high
road and hook us up with an open source dev. kit for flash content
(speaking of snowballs in hell) :)

Louis