Subject: Re: named problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/30/2004 21:35:08
On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 02:34:30PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Ihsan Dogan wrote:
>
> > Aug 30 22:22:52 defiant named[117]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)
>
> > It was not possible, to do any queries. ndc reload didn't work
> > either. After I killed named, I started it again and it's working
> > fine again.
>
> Maybe there was a typo which caused named to not recognize your hints
> file (usually /etc/namedb/root.cache) correctly.
>
> (Or maybe you had forwarders that forwarded to a temporarily broken
> DNS server?)

this has happened to me before as well.  the way I figured it, the
forwarders I had listed were answering enough of my queries that bind
never got a chance to ask the root name servers any questions and hence
never refreshed them.

  "someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able
  to write provably correct software.  also, I want a pony." -- Zach Brown