Subject: Re: Temperature of Air Condition
To: Ed Wensell III <ewensell3@yahoo.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/30/2004 06:50:19
On Aug 30, 2004, at 6:15 AM, Ed Wensell III wrote:
> The trick is getting it cool enough to operate the systems normally
> without causing condensation. Likewise you do not want it so dry that
> static electricity becomes an issue.

I've always found that the trick is to figure out what the heat-load of
the room is and figure out what your repair/response time is in the
event that the AC shuts down.

ie: one of my machine rooms is surrounded on 5 sides by concrete walls,
under ground, and will, if necessary, run just fine with the doors open
for a couple of days, especially if I shut down some non-critical
systems; in the event of an AC failure.

I run this room fairly warm.  About 22C.

I have another machine room in another facility that will not run by
itself even with the doors open and critical systems turned off.  This
one I run down to 16C; and if the AC shuts down, I have about 6 hours
to respond before the temperature gets high enough to start being a
problem.

I know, not scientific or 'procedural'....