Subject: badsect and raid devices?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/30/2004 13:22:45
Inevitably, one comes across disks which have one or two dodgy sectors
in an otherwise fine disk.  I've been using the fsbn reported by
the kernel and badsect to tell ffs to not use these areas of the disk
and this works well for cases where the filesystem is directly on a
real disk, however what's the suggested method for doing something
similar for a device which is RAIDed?

I'm aware that a device which is beginning to exhibit problems such
as these may be in the first stages of failure, so I'm certainly not
advocating using this technique to avoid buying a new drive, however
I have a two-disk mirror which won't replicate properly because one
disk has some bad patches, and I'd like to get it back into service
until our next downtime window when I can get the drive replaced ...

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                    System Administrator
ph [990] 54881 rm 28-241                          School of GeoSciences