Subject: sendmail, pop-before-smtp
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sascha Retzki <lantis@iqranet.info>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/21/2004 10:07:48
Hello,

I was reading the guide, trying to get sendmail to send mail correctly
via pop-before-smtp. Could somebody point out what I have to do, heh,
even what information I must give you so that the problem gets obvious,
because I am several bytes lost with it. I also see the 'classic':
Aug 21 15:49:37 sendmail[220]: My unqualified host name (localhost)
unknown; sleeping for retry

If I set the hostname, It says the same, but about the new hostname. I
"echo myhostname > /etc/mail/local-host-names", which did not resolv the
problem. I read somewhere that sendmail first queries dns servers, so I
switched that off, too. Somewhere. Sometime. Somehow. (files local dns
?)

Please do not tell me to use postfix - besides that I failed with
postfix, too ;).. I would like to get sendmail working because it is
installed in every Operating System I use regulary in the default
installation.

This is NetBSD 1.6.1, i386, behind a everything-forwarding router.

With best regards,

Sascha Retzki