Subject: Re: mozilla-firefox freezes
To: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: Sebastian Prause <sebastian-p@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/20/2004 14:10:58
* sigsegv@rambler.ru <sigsegv@rambler.ru> wrote:
| I'm having problems with firefox, whenever I run "build.sh" from
| /usr/src which takes a lot of memory, there is about 20-40 MB of stuff
| that gets swapped to disk. While running firefox, I noticed it tends to
| freeze from time to time, once it stops responding there is no choice
| but to run "kill -s KILL" or "kill -9"
| I am trying to find the reason behind this, I guess it could be to the
| fact that parts of it get swapped to disk, or the way it interacts with
| my window manager and virtual desktops (I run windowmaker). Also I've
| tried firefox and firefox-gtk2, they both freeze at random times,
| thunderbird-gtk2 is also affected. Has anyone experienced anything like
| this?

not with firefox or any other browser. but some time ago I had similar
freezes with some windowmanagers (kahakai, openbox3, pekwm). they all
froze suddenly and very unpredictable. In the end is was imlib2's "fault",
because is was compiled with -O3. I now don't have any -O flags in my
C{XX}FLAGS, and never saw that problem again.
Maybe it's a similar problem. Try attaching gdb to the still running
process to get some tracebacks. In my case it helped me identify
imlib2 as the code that was last called before a freeze.
Good luck :)

   -- Sebastian Prause