Subject: Re: ingres3 and NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@SPAM.quake.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/19/2004 12:33:44
On Friday 06 August 2004 23:57, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Just took a look at the source for CA Ingres3. While they call it
> open source, it will take some work to build on anything other than
> linux. They use jam as the build tool, which needs a lot of esoteric
> information about a platform. The source is probably chock full of
> linuxisms. Needs kerberosV.
>
> Also needs a CA version of pax to run Ingres. There is a linux
> binary, but no source.

Actually, Jam works quite well on NetBSD, I use it all the time. I'm not
quite sure what you mean about jam needing "a lot of esoteric
information about a platform."

Or do you mean build rules? Those would be different for each package,
much like makefiles are, and would of course probably need to be
modified to get ingres3 working on NetBSD. (Assuming that any linuxisms
aren't too onerous to strip out, or rewrite in the source itself.)