Subject: Re: Problems using xdm with xdmcp (Solved)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/18/2004 09:42:36
On Aug 17, 2004, at 9:08 PM, Ian P. Thomas wrote:

> I'm attempting to have xdm show a login screen on another system on my
> internal LAN.  After attempting the following from the remote host
>
> Xquartz -query my.ip.address
>
> I get the following error message in /var/log/xdm.log
>
> xdm error (pid 853): Cannot convert Internet address
> remotehost.ip.address to host name
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xwilling: Permission denied.
>
> I have the following in /etc/hosts
>
> remotehost.ip.address remotehost.my.domain remotehost
>
> This should convert the ip Internet address to a host name.  Any
> suggestions on what else could be wrong here?

After I rebooted the system, this problem went away.  I was now left
with just the last error.

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xwilling: Permission denied.

This was caused by the way Xwilling is called in xdm-config.

	su -m nobody -c /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xwilling

The file, Xwilling, is not set as executable.  I went and changed it so
that if was and now everything works.  Alternately,

	su -m nobody -c 'sh /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xwilling'

Ian Thomas

"Of course it runs NetBSD."
www.netbsd.org