Subject: Re: Where's the Logo?
To: None <Netbsd-Users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/16/2004 19:00:20
On Jan 6,  9:33am, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
} Quoting Sean Davis (erplefoo@gmail.com):
} > On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 04:43:30 -0500, carnivorous@gmail.com
} > > I think, some people had mentioned that the daemon is often times
} > > recognized as a FreeBSD specific icon, rather than a universal BSD
} > > symbol.  I personally like the daemon, but a more serious and cleaner
} > > looking logo would be better for NetBSD.
} ...
} > I've heard that, too. It sounds like total BS to me. The daemon was a
} > BSD symbol before FreeBSD existed. They don't have exclusive usage
}
} | Yeah, so?  Until the advent of BSD/386; FreeBSD; NetBSD; and a bit
} | later, OpenBSD; BSD was the purview of academia without much exposure
} | to the general populace.
} Um, along with THE INTERNET in general.

     Until relatively recently, the Internet was the purview of
academia (and the US military).  If you want to talk about recently,
then I'd wager that most people on the Internet have never heard of
BSD.  The current Internet is a vast place with a lot of people (most
of whom haven't a clue about most of the stuff on the Internet; heck
I've been on the Internet since 1990 or so, and I won't claim to have
any idea about most of the stuff out there).

} http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/logos.html  look a lot like the FreeBSD
} interpretation of Beastie to me.

     And, it looks to me that none of them are official.  They're just
things that random people have drawn and have offered for use.

} Me?  again (it's in the archives from last time), I say give him a
} bigger pitchfork (trident) and a Net and you've got a fine NET bsd
} logo.

     This might be interesting.

}-- End of excerpt from Chuck Yerkes