Subject: Re: Where's the Logo?
To: cube@cubidou.net <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/15/2004 09:55:35
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:20:41 +0200, cube@cubidou.net <cube@cubidou.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 07:07:53AM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 04:43:30 -0500, carnivorous@gmail.com
> > <carnivorous@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think, some people had mentioned that the daemon is often times
> > > recognized as a FreeBSD specific icon, rather than a universal BSD
> > > symbol.  I personally like the daemon, but a more serious and cleaner
> > > looking logo would be better for NetBSD.
> > >

> > I've heard that, too. It sounds like total BS to me. The daemon was a
> > BSD symbol before FreeBSD existed. They don't have exclusive usage
> > rights to it. And please clarify: "cleaner?" cleaner than what? than
> > the daemon? or than the iwo jima logo we have now? I don't personally
> > like the iwo jima logo much, but if I had to choose between it and,
> > say, the OpenBSD blowfish, I would certainly pick it. A 007 looking
> > puffer fish is pretty hard to take seriously.
> >
> > I'm just... I dunno, bothered that the core NetBSD folks are changing
> > our logo in order to be politically correct (daemons are bad! only
> > satanists use BSD!). I think they're forgetting that no matter what,
> > not everyone will be happy with it, and I would put money on less
> > people being happy with the new logo than are currently happy with the
> > one we've had for a long time now.
>
> Please stop assuming what TNF thinks or does, it's annoying.

When TNF doesn't tell us anything about what they think or do, what
else do we have to go on?
Being kept in the dark is annoying, also.

> TNF is not looking for a new mascot, nobody wants the daemon out.  TNF
> is looking for a logo, which there is not at the moment.

That's reassuring, at least.

> These days the Olympics Games are taking place, I hope you can make the
> difference between a logo and a mascot:
>
> http://www.athens2004.com/en/OlympicMascots
>
> The logo is the the symbol at the top left.  Totally different from the
> mascots.

Okay, you made your point.

> The results will be published, just be patient.

Is it being timed to coincide with 2.0 being released? Is there some
other plan? If so, what is it?
You can't fault a person for being curious.

--
Sean